Gate Tower "Spike"
is a freestanding building, which was a part of the Bač Fortress' defense system. It belongs to the same building typology and architectural style as the fortified castle, characterized by massive brick walls and buttresses. Gate tower is a part of the outer town and crucial defense point at the entrance to the Bač Fortress' suburbium. Gate tower has not been systematically examined through archaeology, but analysis of the building, dimensions of used bricks and applied brickwork style implies that the structure was built in the second half of the 15th century, most likely during the time when the fortress was strengthen in the period 1490 - 1495 or in the first two decades of the 16th century. Original architectural features of the gate tower cannot be completely defined due to degradation caused by demolition in the early 18th century. However, according to preserved data and artistic presentations of the Bač fortress, it could be concluded that it belongs to typology of towers that used to be built at the entrances of fortification complexes. These towers used to have entrance gates and at least two floors above with small window openings known as loopholes. Number of floors of the Gate tower, as well as the original shape of its roof, could be seen on one of the plans that are being kept in the Museum of War in Vienna (Kriegsarchiv, Wien: Kartensammlung H III c.108). During the Rakoczi Uprising (1704 -1711) edifice was blasted and left in ruins until 1774, when it was restored by Gabor Glaser(Gloszer), guardian of the Franciscan Monastery in Bač. The gate tower was damaged once again in fire in 1856, after which it was restored by Archbishop Joseph Kunst in 1867. These interventions are visible on the building, as much as the fact that the gate tower was topped with a cornice and a new roof which was significantly lower and shallower than the original one. Openings in the eastern and western walls of the building were formed as a part of the reconstruction in the 18th century, only to be closed (openings in the east facade) or reshaped into biforate windows (openings in the west facade) in the intervention in the 19th century. Special attention was given to the western facade facing the town, since it is characterized by strong buttresses two biforate windows. Space above the arch of the entrance gate was once adorned with a coat of arms and sign, both of which are removed long time ago.
(текст С. Вујовић / PZZZSK)